Search This Blog

Follow by Email

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Ghost Towns

Thanks for all of you reading and commenting on the blog. I've barely had time to read! Now E of Oklahama City @ gas station, thinking to catch up on my writing. Arizona was nice yesterday although cool and speed plus altitude took a toll on fuel mileage. As I descended into the "Land of Enchantment" I saw more and more abandoned buildings and even towns (unthinkable in a Bay Area realty perspective) and junked vehicles from the freeway. Maybe it's just the 40 corridor. Texas was cleaner but kind of stark in a Teutonic way. After my sundown headlight change in Amarillo, I headed out with half a tank into the dark. I was having second thoughts about this about 70 miles and a couple closed gas stations later, after 10 pm. Low fuel light was on and I had too many miles to go to Elk City. I was praying for a gas station soon. The third gas exit I tried was also closed. No-one was there, the station lights were out and there was a rusty tanker trunk parked nearby. It was dark, windy and kind of reminded me of the ghost story scene in the movie Cars...but the pumps were on! I tried my card, and thankfully it worked. While fueling I made a quick goodnight call back to Shaleah and the kids, then hit the road. Wouldn't you know it, there was a well-lit Chevron station open, like a beacon on the hill, just 10 miles later. I spooked myself over nothing. I need to change that habit. More 'articles' kicking around in my head to come soon.

2 comments:

Matt said...

Hi Scott,
Been there (scaring myself once the low fuel light is on). Great idea with the blog.
I have to admit after you said you were coming and especially now that I've seen the blog, I am jealous that I've only got 600 miles to get to TN.
Ride safe - see you tomorrow.

Onion Town said...

scary, dude. Yeah, never leave town without gassing up whether you need it or not. I broke the rule on my trip out from Minneapolis and nearly paid the price.
wish they'd had Blogger back then!